Another Cuba plane crash survivor dies, death toll rises to 112

In this file photo, police officers stand at the site where a Boeing 737 plane crashed after taking off from Havana’s main airport on May 18, in the agricultural area of Boyeros, Cuba. (Reuters)
Updated 25 May 2018

Another Cuba plane crash survivor dies, death toll rises to 112

  • Emiley Sanchez, a 40-year old Cuban from the eastern city of Holguin where the Boeing 737 had been heading, died in a hospital.
  • Three Cuban women had originally survived when the Boeing 737 crashed shortly after takeoff and burst into flames. Two of them have now died, leaving one survivor fighting for her life.

HAVANA: One of the survivors of the plane crash just outside Havana airport last week died early on Friday, state-run media cited the Cuban government as saying, raising the death toll from one of Cuba’s worst air disasters to 112.
Emiley Sanchez, a 40-year old Cuban from the eastern city of Holguin where the Boeing 737 had been heading, died in a hospital in the capital due to “severe traumatic lesions and burns” suffered in the accident.
“Her state was extremely critical with a unfavorable prognostic and on a progressive downwards path that we could not reverse,” the Health Ministry said in a statement read on state-run radio station Radio Reloj.
Three Cuban women had originally survived when the Boeing 737 crashed shortly after takeoff and burst into flames. Two of them have now died, leaving one survivor fighting for her life.
The plane had been leased by the little-known Mexican company, Damojh, to Cuba’s flagship carrier Cubana, and all but 11 of 113 passengers on board were Cuban.
The foreigners were seven Mexicans including the crew, two Argentine tourists, and two Sahrawis from a disputed area in the Western Sahara who were resident in Cuba.
Cuba is leading the probe into the crash, together with Mexican and US investigators, and has retrieved the black box with flight data and voice recordings from the cockpit.
Mexico’s civil aviation authority said on Monday it had suspended Damojh’s operations while it made sure the firm adhered to regulations and gathered information to help investigators find the cause of the crash.
Previous complaints over inadequate maintenance and safety measures have surfaced again in recent days.


Six killed as avalanche buries Indian patrol on disputed glacier

Updated 37 min 17 sec ago

Six killed as avalanche buries Indian patrol on disputed glacier

  • The disaster was the latest on the Siachen Glacier at more than 5,000 meters
  • Hundreds of troops from both sides have died in avalanches and from the fierce climate

SRINAGAR: An avalanche on Monday hit an Indian patrol in the world’s highest militarised zone in the Himalayas, killing four soldiers and two porters, an army spokesman said.
The disaster was the latest on the Siachen Glacier at more than 5,000 meters (16,500 feet) that is claimed by India and rival Pakistan.
Hundreds of troops from both sides have died in avalanches and from the fierce climate in the region over the past three decades.
An Indian military spokesman told AFP that the avalanche engulfed eight people in the patrol at the northern end of the glacier in the Karakoram mountain range.
Rescue teams managed to dig the patrol members out of the snow, and they were taken by helicopter to hospital.
“Despite best efforts, six casualties which includes four soldiers and two civilian porters succumbed to extreme hypothermia,” said the spokesman, Col. Rajesh Kalia.
Avalanches are common on the 700-square-kilometer (270-square-mile) glacier, where temperatures regularly fall to minus 60 degrees Celsius (-76 Fahrenheit).
In 2016, 10 Indian soldiers were buried and killed.
About 900 Indian soldiers alone have died on the glacier since 1984, when Indian forces took complete control of Siachen.
The glacier is located at the northern end of the Line of Control that divides Kashmir, which India and Pakistan have fought over since 1947.