England’s T20 woes continue as Australia win by 7 wickets in tri-series match

England's Jos Buttler, right, watches as Australia's Glenn Maxwell drives the ball during their Twenty20 match in Melbourne. (AP)
Updated 10 February 2018

England’s T20 woes continue as Australia win by 7 wickets in tri-series match

MELBOURNE: Glenn Maxwell scored 39 runs and man-of-the-match Kane Richardson took 3-33 as Australia beat England by seven wickets on Saturday in a tri-series Twenty20 match at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
D’Arcy Short was 36 not out when Australia reached England’s total of 137-7 with more than five overs to spare. The hosts ended on 138-3 after Australia captain David Warner won the toss and elected to field.
It was Australia’s third consecutive win in the tri-series, which now shifts to New Zealand and a match Tuesday in Wellington between England and New Zealand.
England played without regular skipper Eoin Morgan, who strained his right groin during training and was replaced by James Vince. Jos Buttler captained England and top-scored with 46.
“It was another poor performance from us,” said Buttler. “We never really felt like we had enough (runs). We haven’t performed to our abilities as yet, and that’s disappointing.”
The unbeaten Australians are all but assured of a spot in the Feb. 21 final in Auckland after downing England by five wickets in Hobart and beating New Zealand in the series opener ahead of Saturday’s match.
Maxwell and Short combined for 39 off consecutive overs from Liam Dawson and Adil Rashid to end any hopes of an England comeback.
Warner left England in trouble at 34-3 in the fourth over when he ran out Dawid Malan with a direct hit.
Complementing Richardson’s three wickets for Australia were Billy Stanlake (2-28) and Andrew Tye (1-29).


Italy’s Serie A to resume on June 20

Updated 29 May 2020

Italy’s Serie A to resume on June 20

  • ‘Italy has started to return to normal life again, it is only right that football should do the same’

ROME: Italy’s Serie A was given the green light on Thursday to resume on June 20 after a three-month absence as one of the countries hardest hit by the coronavirus pandemic begins to ease restrictions.
Sports Minister Vincenzo Spadafora said that the government’s Technical and Scientific Committee (CTS) had agreed to the health protocol proposed by Italian football chiefs.
“Italy has started to return to normal life again, it is only right that football should do the same,” said Spadafora.
“The federation assured me that it had a Plan B and a Plan C.
“In light of these considerations, the championship can resume on June 20.”
Italian football federation (FIGC) president Gabriele Gravina told the minister during the video conference that a play-off system would be used if the championship were again interrupted, while the existing standings would be used if it were stopped.
“We had a very useful meeting,” said Spadafora. “From the start, I said that football could restart once all the security conditions had been met.”
No top-flight matches in Italy have been played since Sassuolo beat Brescia 3-0 on March 9.
One of the hardest hit countries by the coronavirus pandemic with over 33,000 deaths, Italian football now faces a scheduling nightmare, for matches which will take place behind closed doors.
Lega Serie A will meet on Friday morning to examine “the different calendar hypotheses” for the remaining Serie A and Italian Cup matches, amounting to 127 in total.
Most teams have 12 league games left to play, but there were four postponed fixtures.
Spadafora suggested that the Italian Cup could be concluded the week before the return to Serie A action.
The semifinal return leg matches between Inter Milan and Napoli and AC Milan and Juventus, could be played on June 13-14 with the final on June 17.
“I also hope to be able to send a positive signal to the whole country by taking advantage of the week from June 13 to 20 to conclude the Italian Cup,” he added.
The announcement of the resumption of the Italian league comes just after the English Premier League confirmed it will restart on June 17.
The German championship has already resumed and Spain’s La Liga will return to the pitch the week of June 8.
Among the five major European championships, only the French Ligue 1 has been definitively stopped.
“I’m happy and satisfied,” said Gravina. “The restart of football represents a message of hope for the whole country.”
But many issues remain to be resolved including match schedules, players’ contracts which end on June 30, and unpaid TV rights by broadcasters.
“Footballers are not robots, there are concerns,” said Damiano Tommasi, president of the players’ union.
“A critical issue is (playing a) match at 4.30pm which in June and July in Italy is unthinkable,” added the former Italy and Roma player.
The thorniest issue remains the two-week quarantine period in the case of a positive test, which Spadafora insisted would remain.
“The CTS agreed with the medical protocol, but confirmed the absolute necessity for a quarantine period if a player were to test positive,” said Spadafora, who did not exclude future changes to the rule.
“I’m ready to bet on the resumption of the championship, but with this rule of quarantine of 14 days, the possibilities of concluding it are not high,” said Enrico Castellacci, president of the Italian Football Doctors Association.
“It’s a crime. I’m not going to quarantine 50 healthy people. We don’t do this if there is a positive case in a factory,” argued Lazio doctor Ivo Pulcini, with the Roman club committed to a resumption of the season, as they sit just one point behind leaders Juventus.