Cristiano Ronaldo will not face rape charges in Nevada

Cristiano Ronaldo looks on during the UEFA Nations League final football match between Portugal and the Netherlands. Cristiano Ronaldo will not face rape charges in Nevada, prosecutors said on July 22, 2019. (AFP)
Updated 22 July 2019
0

Cristiano Ronaldo will not face rape charges in Nevada

  • Kathryn Mayorga, a former model, has claimed that Ronaldo raped her in a Las Vegas hotel in 2009
  • Ronaldo is widely considered one of the greatest footballers in the history of the game

LOS ANGELES: Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo will not face any charges over an alleged rape in the US state of Nevada a decade ago, prosecutors said on Monday.
The Clark County District Attorney's Office said it had declined to prosecute the Portuguese star because it "cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt" that a sexual assault occurred.
Kathryn Mayorga, a former model, has claimed that Ronaldo raped her in a Las Vegas hotel in 2009.
The former Manchester United and Real Madrid star reached a financial settlement with her following the incident but has denied allegations of sexual assault.
The district attorney's office said it had received a report from Mayorga -- who it identified only as "V" -- on June 13, 2009, reporting that she had been the victim of a sexual assault.
Police were unable to conduct an investigation at the time because she declined to say who assaulted her or where it occurred, the office said in a statement, but Mayorga contacted police in August of last year to ask that the case be reopened, at which point she named Ronaldo as the alleged assailant.
"Based upon a review of the information presented at this time, the allegations of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt," prosecutors said. "Therefore, no charges will be forthcoming."
Ronaldo is widely considered one of the greatest footballers in the history of the game, having won the Champions League title five times -- once with Manchester United and four times with Real Madrid.
He also led Portugal to the Euro 2016 title in France.


Sri Lanka 244 all out in 1st innings of 2nd test vs New Zealand

Updated 24 August 2019
0

Sri Lanka 244 all out in 1st innings of 2nd test vs New Zealand

  • New Zealand batted for two overs and went to lunch on the third day at one run without loss
  • Sri Lanka won the first test by six wickets in Galle and looks to sweep the two-test series

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka: Dhananjaya de Silva scored his fifth test century to rally Sri Lanka from trouble and reach a competitive 244 runs in the first innings of the second test against New Zealand on Saturday.
New Zealand batted for two overs and went to lunch on the third day at one run without loss.
De Silva walked in to bat when Sri Lanka was 93 for four and saw quick wickets fall at the other end pushing Sri Lanka to 131 for six. He survived at nine when fast bowler Trent Boult dropped an easy high catch off his own bowling; but he made good his luck and held the Sri Lanka innings together facing 148 deliveries hitting 16 boundaries and a six.
He shared 41 runs with No. 8 batsman Dilruwan Perera (13) and 43 runs with Suranga Lakmal (10) at No.9.
Sri Lanka captain Dimuth Karunaratne made 65 while opening the batting.
Sri Lanka resumed day three at 144 for six and left-arm spinner Ajaz Patel trapped Perera lbw for New Zealand’s first breakthrough for the day.
Fast bowler Tim Southee continued his good run from the second day, taking two more wickets to finish with four for 63. Boult had three for 75.
Sri Lanka won the first test by six wickets in Galle and looks to sweep the two-test series.