Young Egyptians trudge through mud to clean up Nile

1 / 3
Dr. Yasmine Fouad, Egypt's Environment Minister, carries bags of plastic waste during a campaign to clean up the Nile River sponsored by Egypt's environment ministry in cooperation with VeryNile and Greenish, in Cairo, Egypt February 10, 2019. Picture taken February 10, 2019. (Reuters)
2 / 3
A volunteer collects waste and plastic as part of a campaign to clean up the Nile River sponsored by Egypt's environment ministry in cooperation with VeryNile and Greenish, in Cairo, Egypt February 10, 2019. Picture taken February 10, 2019. (Reuters)
3 / 3
Egyptian youth volunteers collect waste and plastic as part of a campaign to clean up the Nile River sponsored by Egypt's environment ministry in cooperation with VeryNile and Greenish, in Cairo, Egypt February 10, 2019. Picture taken February 10, 2019. (Reuters)
Updated 11 February 2019
0

Young Egyptians trudge through mud to clean up Nile

  • The teens and twenty-somethings also climbed into boats to reach trash floating through the center of Cairo

CAIRO: Hundreds of young Egyptians, including actress Mai El Gheity, trudged through the mud on the banks of the River Nile to collect tons of old plastic bags, bottles and other rubbish.
The teens and twenty-somethings also climbed into boats to reach trash floating through the center of Cairo during the “Youth for the Nile” clean-up — a program backed by the government and other groups to raise awareness of pollution.
Volunteer Dai Soliman worked on as people watched from a bridge.
“Those people above looking at us must have thought that they threw something in, and now there are some people who are collecting their garbage. So this is awareness, it is direct awareness in action,” she said.
The teams, most wearing the scheme’s white boots and blue and yellow gloves, collected three to four tons of waste on Saturday, the environment ministry said.
A report issued last year by government’s Egyptian Environmental Affairs Agency said 150 million tons of industrial waste end up in the Nile every year.
Similar clean-ups are scheduled in Luxor, Aswan, Assiut and other provinces through the rest of the year.


Erdogan: Turkey’s S-400 missile systems purchase from Russia ‘done deal’

Updated 57 min 1 sec ago
0

Erdogan: Turkey’s S-400 missile systems purchase from Russia ‘done deal’

ANKARA: Turkey will not turn back from its deal to buy S-400 missile systems from Russia, President Tayyip Erdogan was quoted as saying on Saturday, a day after an informal deadline Washington set for Ankara to respond to a rival offer passed.
NATO member Turkey has repeatedly said it is committed to buying the Russian missile defense system, despite warnings from the US-led alliance that the S-400s cannot be integrated into the NATO air defense system.
US officials had set an informal deadline of February 15 for Ankara to respond to the rival US offer and have said that if Turkey proceeds with the S-400 purchase, Washington will withdraw its offer to sell a $3.5 billion Raytheon Co. Patriot missile package.
They have also said it would jeopardize Turkey’s purchase of Lockheed Martin Corp. F-35 fighter jets and possibly result in the United States imposing sanctions.
However, speaking to reporters on the flight back from the Russian resort of Sochi, where a three-way summit on Syria between Turkey, Russia and Iran was held, Erdogan said Ankara would press on with the S-400 purchases.
“We made the S-400 deal with Russia, so it out of the question for us to turn back. That’s done,” Erdogan said, according to broadcaster NTV.
He said Turkey was open to purchasing Patriot systems from the United States as long as the deal served Turkey’s interests, but added there were issues on delivery and production that were still being discussed with Washington.
“The US administration views the early delivery issue positively, but they won’t say anything about joint production or a credit. We continue our work based on the promise of the S-400 deliveries in July.”
The formal US offer for Turkey’s purchase of Patriot systems expires at the end of March, US officials have told Reuters, after which a new offer would have to be submitted.
The US asked Turkey to give at least an informal answer on whether it would go ahead with its S-400 purchase by February 15, one US official said.
It was not immediately clear whether Turkey had responded to the US offer.