Arab News goes pink to boost awareness of breast cancer screening

Arab News will this month place a pink ribbon on its masthead to mark Breast Cancer Awareness Month, to help spread awareness of the importance of screening for this devastating disease. (AN)
Updated 01 October 2018
0

Arab News goes pink to boost awareness of breast cancer screening

  • October marks the 26th anniversary of the pink ribbon, a powerful symbol for millions of people affected by breast cancer
  • Throughout the month, the Arab News website — www.arabnews.com — and printed newspaper will feature a series of special reports

RIYADH: Arab News will this month place a pink ribbon on its masthead to mark Breast Cancer Awareness Month, to help spread awareness of the importance of screening for this devastating disease.

October marks the 26th anniversary of the pink ribbon, a powerful symbol for millions of people affected by breast cancer.

Throughout the month, the Arab News website — www.arabnews.com — and printed newspaper will feature a series of special reports focused on raising awareness of breast cancer and combating the disease in the Middle East and globally.

Breast cancer has already killed an estimated 627,000 women worldwide this year — but women in Saudi Arabia and throughout the Middle East remain reluctant to take the screening test that could save their lives.

Of the women targeted during screening awareness programs across the Middle East, only 10 percent actually attended an appointment for a routine breast exam.

A 2017 study found a “substantial rise in the incidence of breast cancer in Saudi Arabia in recent years, particularly among younger females compared to affected females in Western countries.”

According to the report’s lead author at the College of Medicine at the University of Hail, more awareness and education is needed across the Kingdom to address critical “gaps in knowledge.”

Breast Cancer Awareness Month begins today, with its “go pink” campaign to draw attention to the disease, its detection and treatment.

Arab News’ team of journalists will be doing all they can to promote this increasingly vital cause.

Read more here.

 


Google to charge Android partners up to $40 per device for apps

Updated 20 October 2018
0

Google to charge Android partners up to $40 per device for apps

  • The new system should give Google’s rivals such as Microsoft Corp. more room to partner with hardware makers
  • The fee can be as low as $2.50 and rises depending on the country and device size

BRUSSELS/SAN FRANCISCO: Alphabet Inc’s Google will charge hardware firms up to $40 per device to use its apps under a new licensing system to replace one that the European Union this year deemed anti-competitive, a person familiar with the matter said on Friday.
The new fee goes into effect on Oct. 29 for any new smartphone or tablet models launched in the European Economic Area and running Google’s Android operating system, the company announced on Tuesday.
The fee can be as low as $2.50 and rises depending on the country and device size, the person said. It is standard across manufacturers, with the majority likely to pay around $20, the person added.
Companies can offset the charge, which applies to a suite of apps including the Google Play app store, Gmail and Google Maps, by placing Google’s search and Chrome Internet browser in a prominent position. Under that arrangement, Google would give the device maker a portion of ad revenue it generates through search and Chrome.
Tech news outlet the Verge reported the pricing earlier on Friday, citing confidential documents.
The European Commission in July found Google abused its market dominance in mobile software to essentially force Android partners to pre-install search and Chrome on their gadgets. It levied a record $5-billion fine, which Google has appealed, and threatened additional penalties unless the company ended its illegal practices.
The new system should give Google’s rivals such as Microsoft Corp. more room to partner with hardware makers to become the default apps for search and browsing, analysts said.
Qwant, a small French search company that has been critical of Google, said in a statement on Friday that it was “satisfied that the European Commission’s action pushed Google to finally give manufacturers the possibility to offer such choices to consumers.”