PCB bans Pakistani cricketers from playing in UAE league

Najam Aziz Sethi. (AFP)
Updated 13 June 2018
0

PCB bans Pakistani cricketers from playing in UAE league

  • The (PSL) Governing Council has expressed its concerns over a newly announced T20 league taking place in the UAE
  • It’s a bad decision. More leagues mean more experience and also money for cricketers, says analyst

LAHORE: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has slapped a ban on its players from playing in any cricket league in the United Arab Emirates other than Pakistan Super League (PSL).
The decision was taken at a meeting of the PSL Governing Council at the National Cricket Academy in Lahore on Tuesday afternoon.
Pakistani cricket stadiums became barren after a terrorist attack on the Sri Lanka cricket team in Lahore on March 3, 2009 left six Lankan cricketers injured and six law-enforcing agencies’ men and two civilians dead. International cricket teams refused to play in Pakistan after the incident.
In those crucial hours, the UAE supported Pakistan and provided her grounds that became the home ground of Pakistani cricketers and they played series against South Africa, Australia, England and Sri Lanka.
The PSL was also started in the UAE as the international cricketers had refused to play in Pakistan. Three seasons of the PSL have been played there so far.
Now the UAE has announced its own cricket league on her grounds and the PCB is not happy about it.
“The Governing Council has expressed its concerns over a newly announced T20 league taking place in the UAE. It was decided that the PCB will not allow any contracted players to take part in any T20 league taking place in the UAE other than PSL,” reads an official communiqué of the PSL and PCB released after the meeting.
The PSL also decided to increase the salary cap of PSL squads as well as bringing more PSL matches to Pakistan. It was decided that at least eight matches of the next league session of the league to be played in 2019 will be played in Pakistan. All the franchise owners endorsed the decisions and reposed full trust on the PSL chairman, Najam Sethi.
Independent sport analysts, however, do not appreciate the decision of banning Pakistani cricketers from playing in the UAE cricket leagues.
“It is a bad decision. The Pakistani players get experience by playing with the international fellows. Several national team players have come from the league. More leagues mean more experience and also money for cricketers,” Farakh Ata Butt, a senior sports writer and analyst, told Arab News.
Some have different opinions and support the PCB decision: “This is a good step ahead of a long and challenging international season,” Syed Sarim Raza, a cricket analyst, told Arab News. “Pakistan are set to visit South Africa for a full tour at the start of 2019 followed by the 50-over World Cup to be held later in the English summer. PCB has adopted this strategy to save players from unnecessary fatigue and keep them fit for key international fixtures.”


Australia end T20 losing streak with 4-run win over India in Brisbane

Updated 26 min 37 sec ago
0

Australia end T20 losing streak with 4-run win over India in Brisbane

BRISBANE: Australia allrounder Marcus Stoinis took two wickets in the last over Wednesday as India’s batting lineup collapsed late to lose their tour-opening Twenty20 international by four runs.
Virat Kohli returned to lead India after skipping the previous series against West Indies and, after winning the toss and sending Australia in to bat, had a below-par night, dropping a regulation catch in the fourth over, misfielding later in the innings and getting out for four.
The Australians posted 158-4 in a rain-interrupted 17 overs with Glenn Maxwell (46 from 24 balls) and Chris Lynn (37 from 20 balls) each belting four sixes and Stoinis finishing unbeaten on 33.
The rain delay brought the Duckworth-Lewis rules into play, giving India a revised target of 174 from 17 overs.
Shikhar Dhawan set India up in its run chase with a 42-ball 76 that included 10 boundaries and two sixes, including one over backward square to raise his half century.
He had a reprieve on 65 when Adam Zampa put down a return catch, but was finally out upper cutting a short ball from Billy Stanlake to Jason Behrendorff on the third man boundary as India slipped to 105-4 in the 12th over.
His wicket came in a period when India lost 3-24, and seemed to give Australia the advantage. But Rishabh Pant (20) and Dinesh Karthik (30) took up the attack and plundered 25 from one over by Andrew Tye after a tactical blunder by Australia captain Aaron Finch, who lost track of the new bowling restrictions.
The pair put on 51 for the fifth wicket to give India the ascendancy before Pant paddled an easy catch to Behrendorff off Tye’s bowling to again swing the momentum, leaving India needing 18 runs from nine balls.
Stoinis bowled the last over, with India needing 13 runs, and took pace off the ball as he picked up the wickets of Krunal Pandya and Karthik before India finished 169-7.
Kohli described it as a “sort of see-saw battle” and Dhawan said the India squad wasn’t overly disappointed with the narrow loss.
A missed runout when Maxwell was on 9 and a few dropped catches were momentary setbacks for India, Dhawan said, but “we got a lot of confidence out of this game and we’re going to take it forward for the next game.”
Stoinis said he enjoyed the pressure of bowling the last over and hoped Australia was turning a corner after losing four consecutive T20s.
“We’ve got good memories in the team,” he said. “We dominated T20s last year. We were No. 1 or 2 in the world rankings not long ago. We’re confident.”
India has won its last seven T20 series, and Kohli’s squad is using the three-game series in the shortest format to fine-tune for the bigger prize starting next month when it chases its first ever test series victory in Australia.
Australian cricket has been in turmoil since a ball-tampering scandal in South Africa in March and is coming off back-to-back series losses to Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates and at home against South Africa.
On top of that, Australia was missing frontline bowlers Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood and Nathan Lyon, who were preparing for the four-match test series which kicks off Dec. 6 in Adelaide.